Sauvignon Blanc South Africa has announced the 20 finalists for the FNB Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 2022 competition, with no less than thirteen of the final contenders from the 2022 vintage.
This year’s top 20 wines come from a variety of wine regions, further confirming the innovation and diversity in style and origin of Sauvignon Blanc in South Africa. Many regions have more than one finalist.
A total of 102 producers entered 161 wines in this competition which, since 2007, has been the only South African competition dedicated exclusively to Sauvignon Blanc. It is presented with the support of title partner of the Top 10 ETFs and platinum partner Ever Solutions.
The top 20 finalists (in alphabetical order) are
1. Bon Courage The Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc 2022
2. Bonnievale The River Collection Sauvignon Blanc 2022
3. Selection of the winemaker Cilmor Sauvignon Blanc 2021
4. De Grendel Sauvignon Blanc 2022
5. Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2022
6. Durbanville Hills Collectors Reserve The Cape Mist Sauvignon Blanc 2019
7. Ghost Corner Wild Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2021
8. Groot Constantia Sauvignon Blanc 2022
9. Groote Post Seasalter Sauvignon Blanc 2022
10. Iona Elgin Highlands Sauvignon Blanc 2022
11. Kleine Zalze Vineyard Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2022
12. Cellar Cathedral KWV Sauvignon Blanc 2020
13. La Motte Pierneef Sauvignon Blanc 2021
14. Nitida Wild Child 2022
15. Paul Clüver Village Sauvignon Blanc 2022
16. Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2021
17. Strandveld Pofadderbos Sauvignon Blanc 2022
18. Zevenwacht 7EVEN Sauvignon Blanc 2022
19. Zevenwacht Sauvignon Blanc 2022
20. Zevenwacht Z Collection Sauvignon Blanc 2021
A panel of leading wine experts judged this year’s competition with master of Cape wines, Dr Winifred Bowman as organizer. Alongside Dr Bowman, wine judge and author Fiona McDonald, Johann Fourie, head winemaker of Benguela Cove, winemaker Morgan Steyn of De Grendel, master of Cape wines René Groenewald and protected judge Mahalia Kotjane, assistant winemaker from Lievland, were part of the panel.
The Top 10 will be announced on Thursday, October 13, 2022 during the FNB Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 Awards at FNB Portside as well as on the website.